Portland, Oregon Temple

Portland, Oregon Temple
Portland, Oregon Temple

Monday, June 9, 2014

Portland is__________

.....(fill in the blank after reading this email)
 
lunch with our district
sister allen, elder cantrell, and elder walters

me and sister allen with a recent convert

we had dinner at a member's house 
and they made some really good fish and they had cute fish plates.
'Ello Everybody!

Thanks for all the emails! I might not have time to reply to any of them but I read them! A lot of them were pretty funny. Actually all of them were funny! A lot of happenings around here. Congratulations to Sam for graduating from Duarte High School. It was a blessed, blessed day when I graduated myself.  I am so blessed with an incredible family!

Well, Sister Allen, and a member who was baptized 2 years ago, and I went downtown today just to do something outside of Gladstone. This is my second time in downtown Portland.

 Man oh man, Portlandians are different. Portland is just an odd, odd place.


It definitely would be fun to serve down there though. But it just might be an Elders area, bummer. We went to this really good ice cream place called Salt and Straw. They have some wacky flavors, like Lavender Honey, Strawberry Balsamic w/ black pepper....yeah, those are the only ones I remember. I got the most normal one, Cinnamon Snickerdoodle. Good stuff. 

We took the MAX down, it's like their Metro. How is the Metro construction going anyway? I think it should be down around the time I get home right?  Oh,  happy 8 months to me today of being out on my mission. Next month I'll be over the hill.

This week we had a baptism!  She is 8 and a half.  She is a super bright kid, full of energy. 

We went to the temple visitor's center after the baptism 
and that was REALLY GOOD too.


So we are teaching this family....They live in this apartment complex that is like a gold mine because all the people in that complex love the sister missionaries and always talk to us. Anyway, their cousin, and her sister were suppose to move to Iowa last week. Well the cousin left on the Greyhound bus and her sister said she was staying because she lost her ID so can't go. Well, that day when she was suppose to go, we were over and she asks for a Book of Mormon and said she always wanted one but she was never home when we were around so couldn't get one. Absolutely, you can have one! We had a scheduled appointment with the cousin and then Sister Allen and I were like, hey, why don't we invite the sister (she's 20 by the way), so we do and she is like, "sure." Sweet! So we teach the Plan of Salvation at this member's house who are pretty on board with missionary work and it was awesome! The Plan of Salvation clicked with her! There is definitely a reason why she lost her ID and didn't go to Iowa. And she read the first 4 chapters of the Book of Mormon even before the lesson.

Oh and we taught someone else the Plan of Salvation as well! It was great! We asked when he knows that these things are true will he be baptized? He said that it is the direction he wants to take so yes, when he prays and finds out if it is true he will! He came to church on Sunday but me and Sister Allen didn't even see him to talk to him because he was being shepherded around with his ward fellowshipper, who we brought to one of his lessons. Which is totally awesome. He took him to Gospel Doctrine class...I wonder how that went. I guess we'll find out when we meet with him next.

Man, there is so much more I could write but we don't really have time. We taught 13  lessons last week.
After one of our our lessons, their dad took us to some place to get nochos. 

I am really glad I am serving my mission in the states because it is sure teaching me a lot about my own people and culture. I am seriously learning so much. It's kind of hard to describe. It kind of feels like I'm a member of the Church but I'm from the outside looking in. Like I feel as missionaries we can give people a lot of opportunities for blessings, it's all within reach but they just gotta reach! They answers are here! We have them! The members have them! But they just have want them bad enough to work for them! I don't know.  Did that make sense? Probably not. Like I said, it's hard to explain.

Well, I love everybody!

Love,

Sister Magnusson

No comments:

Post a Comment