Portland, Oregon Temple

Portland, Oregon Temple
Portland, Oregon Temple

Monday, April 13, 2015

"My last email home."

Our goodbyes with our ward mission leader and his fam, the Smiths! They are going out of town this week and we probably won't see them before I go so we took some pics! 

Well family. The time has come. My last email home. Next Monday is transfers and I probably won't have time to email because transfers are crazy and they are taking away the iPad. Good heavens. It's so weird. You never think this day is never going to come. But it is and it's weird. My world is going to come to an abrupt and total change, a complete 180 in my purpose, what I do, how I think, and how I act. I'll still be me but my focus will just have a complete shift. It has got to bet he weirdest thing anyone ever experiences.

On that note….I feel like this week has been good. Of course there is all the ups and downs and crazy roller coaster of emotions all the time BUT over all we had some really good things happen. THE BEST PART WAS YESTERDAY AT CHURCH! So our investigators made it to church and the gospel principals lesson was on the priesthood. I was kind of wondering what was going on in our investigator’s head during the lesson because her first concern when we started meeting with her was about the priesthood. Anyway, the teacher asked a question for the class to answer and she raises her hand and bore her testimony of what a great experience it was to get a priesthood blessing last Sunday and it helped sustain her through the difficulties of the week! It was totally awesome to hear! It was like she was a new person speaking. It made my heart sing!!!!!!!! AND THE OTHER BEST PART was they texted us that day asking when we could go to the temple with them that week! HOLLA! Oh my gosh I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM TO GO TO THE TEMPLE! I just know it will be such a good experience for them. They are taking the lessons to learn more about how they can unite themselves as a family and to get questions answers and I just feel that the temple is all about that sort of thing. Oh my goodness, I love that family so much! I still want to remain in close contact with them even after I go home. They even invited us to their wedding reception this Sunday! They got married last November but they are doing the celebration now because they said their wedding was a quiet courthouse wedding. Anyway, we got permission to go and I can't wait to go! It will be so fun! I can't wait to meet their families.

We had a good lesson with our other investigator this week. I think I've written about her before. She is in her early 70s and a born-again Baptist. She really likes Mormons and really likes Mormon missionaries but she isn't interested in hearing the lessons, but is willing to do a Book of Mormon study with us. Well, for this lesson instead of reading out of the Book of Mormon we felt impressed to read with her  "His Grace is Sufficient"  by Brad Wilcox in the September 2013 Ensign. So we did. She loved it! She has always told us that she doesn't believe in works but from what she has told us she totally does. Her notion of "works" and our notion of “works”— she believes them to be something different....but they are not. We gave her that Ensign that the article was in and she was all excited. She wanted to know how to get an Ensign subscription! She said some really good things were said in that article and it put the concept of Christ's grace in an easy way to understand. Uh, yeah!  She also said that she could probably share it with people. Please do!
This is a summery of Brad Wilcox's article that can be found here.

We taught our young investigator The Ten Commandments this week. She is such a rockstar. She is so solid in reading her Book of Mormon and Old Testament stories. That's super helpful because from that she already had a small background of who Moses was. She has a baptism date for May 9th and she is still solid for that date. Her mom is doing so good too. She gave a really good comment in Sunday School. She said that when she had a death in the family recently she was able to turn to a priesthood blessing instead of other harmful things to help her cope. That was so cool to hear!

We were able to have a lot of member lessons this week which was good. Some were more interesting than others. Like one older inactive lady that we visited basically straight up told us she doesn't want any commitments, doesn't want to read the Book of Mormon with us, she feels like she is super close to God, doesn't need to come to church or serve or read her scriptures (the scriptures stress her out she said)....BUT she really enjoys visiting  us and our "stories." So we can come over and share with her our "stories". Ugh. We still feel like we should see her because we will be only contact she has with the church regularly and maybe as we bring the spirit into her home her heart will be softened.

Well, I wish I could say more about these other member lessons but there is not a ton of time and I feel like sometimes writing these emails you just can't put all the emotion and stories and dialogue and the Spirit or lack of the Spirit, that goes on. You just really can't describe what a mission is like....truly. This will probably be the most unique thing I will ever do in my whole entire life. I am so eternally grateful that I have chosen to serve. I can not imagine my life without this mission. It is overwhelming that all of this will be over in literally just an instant. Just next Tuesday. Well, really next Sunday night because come Monday we aren't really going to do any missionary things, just transfers. Sister Thurber will get a new comp and I will go with the other departing missionaries to President's house for a dinner then I think all the Sisters will go to President Ward's house to sleep (he is in the mission presidency) then wake up real early to go to the airport and then fly home. Done. Wow. The church is true.

"The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done” Joseph Smith

 I love you all. I will see you  soon.

Love,
Sister Magnusson

No comments:

Post a Comment